✔ For students in years 7-11
✔ For students in years 12-13
The Data Science Award is sponsored by
From social media to online banking, data is everywhere we turn nowadays. Therefore, it’s only fitting that from 2018 we’ve added a new prize to the TeenTech Awards for the team who demonstrates the best use and analysis of data.
This category is open to all students across all age groups. Different judging criteria is used for each age group to ensure that everyone remains challenged and engaged. Schools that enter this category will be provided with mentors and detailed resources to help students and teachers learn about the intricacies and power of data.
Register here to become a champion of data science!
To be considered for the Data Science Prize, teams must either:
1. Create a product using data science techniques, such as machine learning, to solve an everyday challenge
2. Develop a data analytics project based either on the data sets we provide, or data you collect yourselves
Tips to making a great Data Science project:
- Projects backed by data are even more convincing than ones based solely on personal experience or anecdote – though personal experience provides useful understanding and insight!
- With data as your guide, it’s easier to decide whether to change, improve or even discard ideas
- Gathering and/or interpreting data may spark new ideas that no-one else has thought about!
Why is Data Science important for ALL students?
- Data is all around us – it’s used for safety, security, banking, communication, media and so much more. These skills are increasingly important in modern society.
- Not just data scientists use data in their careers. There are many exciting and well-paid career opportunities in data: doctors, meteorologists, engineers, sports data analysts, criminologists – and many more!
- Data science cuts across all industries from health to transport, and entertainment to food.
- It can help combat issues such as alcohol abuse, modern cases of slavery, fire hazards and problem gambling. Data can save the world!
What will we provide?
- Data sets
- An example of how to interpret a data set
- A suggested step-by-step approach provided by Accenture experts
- Mentors to support students
- Links to further resources
- Links to inspiring Data Scientists on social media
In additionto the Data Science Prize,‘Use of data’ will also be included as one of the judging criteria across all TeenTech Awards.
What You Need to Do?
Are you convinced about the power of data science yet? Register here and we will provide Teacher Resources and links to mentors to help you get started!